Monday, September 23, 2013

Deaf Expo Asking visitors Driver License!

Yesterday, I went to Deaf Nation Expo which was held at Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York. It was my first time going to the Deaf expo. When I arrived they asked me to show an  ID, and I gave them my University ID. To my surprise, they demanded that I show my drivers license with an address, otherwise, I would not be able to go in. I asked why they would  need to write down my address and my drivers license?  Moreover, the person asked for my email, but I did not give it to them because I did not want to get advertisements and promotional  emails.


A drivers license is a sensitive and personal piece of information. They do not have the right to collect people’s personal information since this is just an expo not a bank where people  obtain credit cards.  According to their website, “DeafNation provides exhibitions and entertainment around the United States at no charge to the public” Their mission is good and it promotes Deaf culture, however, there should not be restrictions regarding who can attend the expo and excessive demands for identification.


I am concerned about deaf expo motives regarding their request for a drivers license. I wonder if they collect people’s information, and sell it?  On their website, deafnation claims “We are a trusted one-stop center for deaf and hard of hearing,” but honestly, I do not trust them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment